Grandfather clocks for sale
- All our clocks are for sale online with guaranteed safe delivery to your home - anywhere in the world.
- Our clock showroom is in Johannesburg where we keep a small selection of clocks.
- Generally we either order the clock of your choice from Germany or Howard Miller in the USA or make it to order in our traditional workshop.
- These clocks, also called Longcase, floor clocks, grandmother or granddaughter clocks are sought after not as timekeepers in the first place, but as icons of elegance, craftsmanship and quality.
- A Grandfather clock stands taller than 6ft. A Grandmother is between 5 and 6 ft and a Granddaughter shorter than 5 ft.
- The tall or longcase style was first developed in the 17th century to allow a long pendulum and weight drop a protected space under the clock movement.
- A Grandfather clock runs on three weights. The middle weight drives the timetrain and drops, like the two other weights, over a period of 8 days. The weight is released by an escapement, allowing it to drop as gravity pulls it down, at a speed determined by the length of the pendulum. A shorter pendulum swings faster and correspondingly the clock runs faster. Conversely a longer pendulum swings slower and the clock runs slower. The pendulum lenght can be adjusted by the clock owner by turning a setting nut under the pendulum bob either "in" or "out" for faster or slower. The weight on the right as one stands in front of the clock drives the quarterly melody and the weight on the left drives the hourly gong. A grandfather clock requires winding every 8 days or more conveniently every 7 days.
- Many of the Grandfather clocks we offer feature 3 melodies - Westminster, Whittington and St. Michael. The clocks movements ususally come with a full chime shut off and often with an automatic nighttime shut off which silences the chimes from 10 - 7.
- The styles we offer range from the traditional and even conservative to avante garde creations.
We show 3 brands of grandfather clocks available through Holtzhausen:
- Holtzhausen Limited Edition Grandfather Clocks are handmade in South Africa. We have developed this flagship range of ours over 35 years and it is ever-evolving into new styles. We can also custom make any clock to your design and choice of timber.
- We also feature Kieninger and Howard Miller grandfather clocks as we are proud to be their sole agents in South Africa. These clocks are always fitted with Kieninger mechanical clock movements. There is a vast difference between these two sought after international brands of grandfather clocks and the No Name Brand clocks flooding markets and assembled locally. Feast your eyes!
Remember we have more styles of Grandfather clocks than you can imagine. Ask and we'll show you.